Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Patrick and his day

“Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.” 

~St. Patrick

In past years, I might have turned everything green and created a spread of exclusively green food. This year, I'm tired and my ambitions are lackluster at best and are quickly squashed by reality. Just being honest. We will wear green (I'll probably forget as usual and get pinched). We will also read The Story of St. Patrick: More Than Shamrocks and Leprechauns, a tradition. We want our kids to know about great men of faith and although I don't have a problem with the fun, uber-green side of St. Patrick's Day, I want them to know why and for whom this day was created for in the first place.

Reubens top the dinner menu, turkey reubens that is. I grew up with the traditional corned beef and cabbage, but I have never achieved the affinity for corned beef that my mom holds (meaning I can't stomach it), so I alter it just a bit. We may possibly make Irish Brown Bread during the day...and maybe we'll go buy a green donut or something. I do like festive treats....

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment