Monday, March 23, 2015

saying yes, a toast to sidewalk picnics

sidewalk umbrella picnic

I often feel quite grouchy as a parent. We recently read Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery and for the first time I related to Marilla. I really disliked this realization. Not that she is a villain, but one definitely wants to be more like Matthew or Mrs. Allen the pastor's wife.

My kids ask 50,000 questions a day. They disagree with this assessment, but they are wrong. And as much as I want to say yes and be gracious and ungrudging and non-condescending, I can't seem to manage it. I have a lot to do. I have a lot on my shoulders, that's just the reality.

We've had fabulous weather and on this particular day, I decided to say yes without a sigh. Yes to school outside, yes to reading on the front lawn and the front porch, yes to a sidewalk picnic under umbrellas and yes to chalk artistry. No, we didn't get as much done. But the fresh air was lovely, the kids were peaceful, it was well, lovely.

I hope they remember these hazy days of childhood. Blue skies, brown prickly grass waiting for the cue to shoot up green, light breezes and brilliant spring (technically winter) sunshine. It's good to say yes.







No comments:

Post a Comment