Sunday, March 15, 2015

if you like Jane Austen...spring reading recs


Not all Jane Austen spin-offs are created equal. That may be the understatement of the world. Some authors have Jane Austen rolling in her grave, I'm sure. I've read less than a page of some "sequels" and I am still trying to scrub the smut from my mind. That being said, I've come across a few worthy reads.

For my 30th birthday, my cousin sent me a Jane-Austen-palooza theme gift including the book Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer. Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's perspective, such a delightful afternoon of reading. I still smile remembering my joy.

Somehow, I stumbled onto Pamela Aidan's trilogy, Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman. Pride and Prejudice also told from Darcy's perspective, but in three books. And there is nothing that Austen enthusiasts like better than more, more, and more. We regard quality Austen-esque literature like manna in the desert. This trilogy is by far the best I've read. Well-written, accurate to Austen's plots and characters, while illuminating the cultural and historical contexts with precision. If I may be bold, it's like Harry Potter for Austen-lovers.

In order:
An Assembly Such as This
Duty and Desire
These Three Remain

I also like these two-part series, not written by Aidan, but I believe they are part of the same family--more perspectives from Austen's leading men.

None But You: Frederick Wentworth, Captain
For You Alone: Frederick Wentworth, Captain by Susan Kaye

Charity Envieth Not: George Knightley, Esquire
Lend Me Leave: George Knightley, Esquire by Barbara Cornthwaite  

I've also enjoyed Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl. Just imagine Pride and Prejudice meets Emma meets Cinderella. I finished this one (for the second time) last week.

And, if you'd like a quirky, off-the-beaten-path read, I would suggest Austenland by Shannon Hale. I loved the ending to this book. I also liked Austenland made chick flick. The ending in the book was better, but the movie was sweet and enjoyable.

Spring is just around the corner. I sipped iced tea on my front porch today, happily sporting flip flops. Let's hear it for spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment