Sunday, March 1, 2015

a portrait and Winnie-the-Pooh psychoanalysis

This lovely portrait was drawn by Cece a year or so ago and captioned by her outspoken and enthusiastic sister, Belle. I love my kids' artwork. All of it. I know I can't keep it all, but some I will not part with and my alternate plan is to photograph them (digital clutter still clears space!). I didn't throw this one away--the special ones are kept and photographed.

I love these kids. They are so different in so many ways. Together, they are a vibrant work of art and best buddies (most of the time). Apart, we see glimpses and splashes of how God has wired each one of them. It's overwhelming and amazing to be tasked the job of being their mommy. (D is eleven and still calls me "mommy." I don't have the heart to tell him that he should be too cool for that at his age. And, I savor it.)

Prince D, Princess Cece, and Princess Belle      
   

Now, for a quick snapshot. Being a visual person who loves imagery, I envision the interworkings of my kids' minds as follows:

D: I envision clockwork cogs and gears, always moving, processing, thinking, pondering, developing, planning, creating, building, inventing--an engineer or scientist if I've ever seen one. If he were a Winnie-the-Pooh character he'd probably be Rabbit, although with more kindness and compassion. He's a meticulous worker and organizer, loves school and hands on projects. He loves to help people move, as in home relocation (not joking, his dad is the same), and shovel snow for our neighbors in the fall, winter, and spring. His faithfulness and sweet spirit blesses us.

Cece: I envision twirling ribbons like the ones used by rhythmic gymnasts in the Olympics. She has floated and danced through life since she could walk. She may have danced first, natural God-given grace at its finest. She loves beautiful things, fairy tales, the classics (Little Women is her favorite), and creating designs while listening to said stories for hours on end. If she were a Winnie-the-Pooh character she would probably be Piglet who also enjoys bright colors, blowing dandelions, and spending time with friends.

Belle: I envision bouncy balls--hundreds of them, all moving and jostling in unison. She takes her role as the youngest very seriously and finds it fabulous to have a princess namesake, "Just call me Princess Belle." She lives with vibrancy, expression, energy and unending wonder of the world around her. If she were a Winnie-the-Pooh character she would be Tigger, who is also a fussy eater and trounces over everyone and everything at one point or another. She's "bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!" I hope you'll have that song stuck in your head too...she is one of a kind.

They're mine and I adore them.


No comments:

Post a Comment