Friday, March 6, 2015

happy and lovely, switching agendas

On Fridays my kids attend an all-day program designed for homeschoolers—extracurricular type class choices, they love it. This is the first year, all three of mine have attended, so I have A DAY to myself. I try to stay home most of the day to enjoy my quiet house (yes, that is an introvert speaking), and I've also met friends for lunch and that has been a blessing too (social introvert).

This morning, my youngest was not quite well enough to go to her kindergarten program. Even when she fights a cold, she usually starts to get a cough. I reluctantly agreed with my husband, a restful day would be good, but I still really wanted her to be well. I wanted my day. I had lots of happy, lovely plans. I didn't really want to change and give up the only break day I have all week.

God slowly nudged my heart in the right direction, using my snuggly girl who sidled up next to me, with a few tears in her eyes and said, “This will be the best day ever. Spending time with each other!” How can I be grouchy about that? God is sovereign, right? Even over the little things? He made this day. He allowed my sweet girl to have a mild cold, but just enough to keep her with me. Maybe she needed a little one-on-one time for her heart.

Belle took this pic because her drink was "so pretty."
I had planned an extended quiet time at a favorite breakfast eatery. I had Belle pack her kitty backpack with her Color Wonder markers and coloring book attached to her Hello Kitty clipboard. I grabbed my Kindle and we set off. We arrived at our eatery and perched ourselves on the end of the breakfast bar, ordering coffee and a blueberry danish pancake for me and hot chocolate and a side of bacon for her. A flat screen TV is positioned behind the bar, playing only and always Cartoon Network. Belle sipped, colored and watched. I read, we chatted, and I helped her color. We enjoyed this respite for almost two hours. It was happy and lovely. God's new agenda for me blessed me and my girl.

Our sweet waitress kept my coffee refilled, talked with Isabelle and toward the end said, “Your breakfast has been taken care of.”

I was speechless and puzzled and amazed.

She continued, “The gentleman who was sitting next to you paid for it, but didn't want me to say anything until he left. He's a very nice man.”

I had smiled at this middle-aged man who was drinking coffee and reading his paper when we sat down. I remember thinking that I hoped we wouldn't disturb him too much. I didn't talk to him at all. I gathered that he was a regular and our waitress addressed him by name when he rose to leave. I didn't pick up on anything, but now I can see a little bit of the exchange in hindsight.

I was so touched, tears came to my eyes. I've never had this happen before. It only happens in movies, right? It was a gift from a stranger, but also from the Lord. He saw my day, He ordained it, He blessed it. 

Would the day have been less of a blessing if this generous man had not been compelled to buy us breakfast? No, I don't believe so, I never would have known the difference. I don't buy into prosperity gospel philosophy. My day could have unrolled in chaos and in sacrifice of all of my plans, that would have been God's good sovereign plan too. But this day I was given an unexpected gift, a special time with my daughter and maybe it impacted those who watched us while we breakfasted together.

I submitted my heart to my new day and I think it made all the difference no matter how my day unfurled. Now, we're home resting. We did a few quick errands, scoring a Starbucks sample in the process and discovering a new Barbie movie in Redbox. Still lovely, just different.

This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

No comments:

Post a Comment