Thursday, February 18, 2016

300 days of beauty, day 33 [15 years]

Fifteen years ago today, this guy asked me if I wanted to start dating. I said yes.

He stole my phone this morning and set several alarms.

Alarm #1: Jim Brickman's song Love of My Life and it went off repeatedly while I was trying to talk to my cousin on the phone. For my 26th birthday, my very talented husband learned this song on the piano and serenaded me as part of my birthday gift. Seems like a lifetime ago. He was in graduate school, we lived in married student housing and we had a six-month-old son. I remember the exact layout of the room, where I was standing, everything.

Alarm #2: In the Still of the Night by Boyz 2 Men. I was sitting in the very quiet waiting room at the orthodontist's office when it started to play and I was digging quickly to silence it.

The story: We traveled to Florida with two friends in 2005 [sans kids]. We went to Disney World et al and spent several days at Cocoa Beach near Cape Canaveral. Out of nowhere, the two husbands started serenading the two wives on the beach. They sang In the Still of the Night and had practiced and planned for some time. This kind of thing is not totally out of the ordinary for these two friends. Usually their performances would be more in the genre of the Muppet Theme Song. We were entertained, touched, and maybe a bit embarrassed...

After the alarms, he started blowing up my phone by sending Youtube music videos every half hour on the half hour for 15 hours. The kids were cracking up as the day went on. I was pretty much walking around the house with my phone blaring songs. It put smiles on their faces too.

We went to lunch at a new deli cafe--friendly staff, creative decor, but, we did wait for ONE HOUR for our sandwiches. I enjoyed mine and my french onion soup was quite tasty. My husband did not share the sentiment for his sandwich and actually had trouble swallowing it toward the end. He may be the least picky eater on the planet, so it was quite a statement. I was prepared to like this new cafe, but I'll not return. One hour for a sandwich...sorry.

We enjoyed our time chatting and laughing about life while marveling at the time it was taking to make a sandwich. We reminisced about other "food fails" like the Thai chicken wrap filled with pureed chicken more consistent in texture with cat food than chicken. Sometimes it's all about the food texture that is the deal breaker. Hence my husband's near inability to finish his meal.

Fifteen years. Wow. I remember the day we started dating so very clearly. The booth at Swenson's, the split pea soup, and mint chocolate shake (mine and his, not together). And I still have the print out of the first e-mail he sent me at my work the next day. He'll be embarrassed, but I have to include part of it. I carried it around in the pocket of my coat for months after we started dating and got engaged.

STEF!
Hey, wassup? I woke up, and had some stuff I wanted to get out, so I typed this up at home. I have to get used to some of this--you're my GIRLFRIEND. We're dating. Do you want to go out sometime? Do you want to go on a date? We're together. Yeah, you're my girlfriend.
AHHH!
Yeah, I've thought about this for a long time. But, I feel like I shouldn't even be writing out this stuff, cuz you might find out that I really like you, and that would be a bad thing. I like you a lot. You're pretty stinkin' awesome. No, really awesome. Really....

(etc. etc., ending with...)

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

bubye,
sh~


The other night my husband and I were joking around and D had not gone to bed yet. I looked at D and said,

"Can you tell we like each other? Not just like each other, but we're friends. We like being together."

A shy smile from my eldest, "Yeah, I can."

No comments:

Post a Comment