Thursday, January 28, 2016

300 days of beauty, day 18

Yes, this is a bucket...in a bathroom. To be more exact, we call it the throw-up bucket. The day started one way and ended another and my poor girl retched for hours. She couldn't leave the bathroom she was so miserably sick. I have these weird moments when I really feel that I'm a grown-up mom. And for whatever reason cleaning up vomit and taking care of them when they are very sick is one of those moments. That probably doesn't make sense but anyway, it was one of those days. 

[Just to be perfectly honest, if at all possible, I don't deal with vomit. I'm one of those people that "sympathy vomits" and I have to tread lightly when I'm around it. My husband has taken most of these bullets, but not today.]

So, why is today beautiful? I was forced to stop my agenda to take care of my girl. It's a good thing. Taking care of her when she is immobile and crying and miserable spurs compassion and mercy in my mama heart. It doesn't matter what has been irritating me or what has been challenging in our relationship...there is a softening that happens when I remember what really matters. I can be thankful for so many abundant days of health. We can rest and drink mint tea and binge-watch new episodes of When Calls the Heart on Netflix.

I also get moments like this:

Belle: Do you know what good sisters do?
Cece: What? (through tears and extreme nausea--it was lucky we made it home...)
Belle: Good sisters take care of their sisters when they are sick and I'm going to take care of you.

Yeah, I know, melted my heart too!

And man, my bathroom is so clean you could eat off of the floor. But that would be gross...on principle.

No comments:

Post a Comment