Sunday, June 28, 2015

summer book pick...Wonder

"The reason I'm not ordinary is that no one sees me that way." 
August Pullman, Wonder

I started and finished this gem of a book while sitting on the sandy shores of Lake McConaughy. I read in the shade of the cottonwood trees all afternoon, which required constant relocation of my beach blanket as I tried to stay out of the sun. The point being that I couldn't put it down.

My son has been habitually suggesting that I read this book for about nine months. He loved it. I loved it. 

A brief summary: At 10 years old, August Pullman is entering public school for the first time. Auggie was born with a severe facial deformity, he says, "I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse." The story is told from his perspective, his sister's perspective, and the perspective of several friends. I rolled through a gauntlet of emotions while reading and it was worth every minute.

I would recommend it for ages 8 and up...boys or girls, teenagers, college students, young adults, families, everyone. It would make a fabulous family read-aloud.

You'll love it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment