Saturday, July 4, 2015

This land I love...



I'm thankful. So very thankful. I sat on my front porch this morning and sipped my coffee. The temperature was rising in typical 4th of July fashion. I looked around my neighborhood and just felt blessed. I don't think our country is perfect, far from it. We are strong and we are weak, we have great spirit and vibrancy, and also great depravity. But have no doubt, we are blessed.

I specifically remember sitting in my bedroom as a young child and wondering why I was born in the United States and not in China or some other country. That's not to say that I felt my life superior in the indifferent snobbery sort of way, but I knew that life was harder--governments lacked stability and conscience, opportunities and education sometimes scarce, Christians persecuted, girls so undervalued that they were drowned in rivers. Deep thoughts for a young heart, but even then, somehow I knew. I was born to great privilege and freedom and prosperity. And I'm not speaking simply of physical materialism. I am privileged in the potential before me, I have prosperity of the soul and heart, I operate with freedom to live my life, unheard of still in many of our world's countries.

Why did God place me here and not in India or Russia or the Middle East or the thousands upon thousands of places in the world? I don't know. But I do know He doesn't make mistakes (and that goes for every person in the world). And, I believe that "to whom much is given, much is required." The gift of being born in this country is not for me to use however I see fit without thought to anyone or anywhere else. Until my dying breath, I pray I can honor and obey and love and serve God in the corner of the world He placed me. And trust His hand if He leads me elsewhere.

God Bless, America!

p.s. We saw "the real Statue of Liberty!" (as Belle says) last fall. Amazing. I would go again in a heartbeat.
view from the ferry

Freedom Tower/skyline view from Liberty Island

audio tour

Yeah, I don't know, it was bright?

No comments:

Post a Comment