Wednesday, June 10, 2015

summer goals...100 books


I'm going to be honest, June has been a freight train and it may be July before I settle into summer with some semblance of vision and lackadaisical routine. We have lots of thoughts, lists, and floating plans that need a home on the calendar, but we're getting there. 

I mentioned earlier that we were plotting and planning some big goals for D. He's headed into seventh grade and we think he can handle it and we believe it will be good for him. 

Well, we're still plotting, but the first goal has been selected. D is striving to read 100 books by summer's end. He has grabbed every book on our shelves that he hasn't read, along with a hefty stack of books to read again. Yesterday, he asked if he could read the Harry Potter series again (the two of us read it together last summer and it was awesome...I had read it before, but loved reading along with him). I agreed with the caveat that he had to read at least two new books in between "read agains." He agreed to my terms.

To date, he has read 13 books and I told him I'd record his progress on my blog--for him, for me, and for other eleven-year-olds (and their parents) who need some book recommendations.

  • 1. Kane Chronicles #1, The Red Pyramid--Rick Riordan
  • 2. Kane Chronicles #2, The Throne of Fire--Rick Riordan (Egyptian Mythology anyone?)
  • 3. Ben and Me--Robert Lawson (Benjamin Franklin and his mouse, Amos)
  • 4. Dandelion Fire, 100 Cupboards series #2--N.D. Wilson
  • 5. The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles--Julie Edwards (aka Julie Andrews, yes, that one...I heard this book as a read-aloud in second grade, I was enchanted.)
  • 6. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch--Jean Lee Latham (colonial America pick)
  • 7. Mr. Revere and I--Robert Lawson (Paul Revere and his horse)
  • 8. The River--Gary Paulsen (sequel to Hatchet)
  • 9. Hardy Boys #2, The House on the Cliff--Franklin W. Dixon
  • 10. Hardy Boys #54, The Mysterious Caravan
  • 11. Hardy Boys #56, The Jungle Pyramid
  • 12. Hardy Boys #57, The Firebird Rocket
  • 13. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone--J.K. Rowling
Happy summer planning to ya'll, may you be far more organized than I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment