Thursday, April 2, 2015

Easter movie pick! (and a book pick too.)

Looking for an Easter movie? I recommend The Good Lie. Reese Witherspoon stars in this movie spotlighting Sudan, its civil war and its child refugees. The real stars are the actors who play the roles of the Sudanese refugees--all were Sudanese refugees, former child soldiers, or children of Sudanese refugees. 
Oh my goodness was this a good movie! So very powerful. Thought-provoking and heart-wrenching on many levels and many issues. 

I also cried myself to sleep, but don't let that discourage you. And my husband was crying. And we couldn't get it out of our heads, but in a good way.

I literally can't recall another movie I've seen that demonstrated and illustrated such unconditional Christ-like love and sacrifice. This is what moved us to tears. It was a portrait of Jesus. Unjust, despicable evil stood in stark contrast to immovable sacrificial and selfless love.

I urge you to watch this movie (in Redbox FYI). It's well worth it.

Many organizations do vital and risky work to help refugees in Sudan and other war-torn countries. I like Samaritan's Purse. We should not be content to merely sit in our plush bubble. We are so blessed. The world has big problems and we can neither fix them all nor take on all of their burdens, but we can do something. We can give financially, we can pray, we can be open to opportunities to serve. Just food for thought.




And for my book recommendation...

I have been LOVING bread & wine by Shauna Niequist. I can't put it down.

Today we remember the Last Supper. One of Jesus' last acts was to share a meal with those closest to his heart.

This book is not simply about "bread and wine." It's about love, heartache, faith, laughter, friendship, hope, struggle, and yes, food (lots of it). It's about sharing our table, sharing our time and sharing our hearts. It's coming together to share life whether it's a dinner party or frozen pizza.

My heart has been captured, she is most definitely a kindred spirit. Did I mention how much I love this book?






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink.” ~Epicurus 
~~~~~~~~~
Happy, happy Easter!  Whatever table you find yourself at this weekend, remember the life we have been given in Jesus Christ. He is risen!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment